The laundry aisle of the store should be avoided at all costs. That smell that you might still enjoy? Give a green, safe, and healthy makeover to your laundry room, and soon you’ll find that section of your store nauseating.
Your laundry doesn’t need to “smell clean” in order to BE clean. In fact, many of these artificially scented products are simply covering up the smell of raw ingredients and mask and hide smells that might remain from your dirty laundry. Real clean doesn’t need to be overpowering, and if you are motivated to remove chemicals from your home, swapping out some products in your wash day routine can really make an impact.
- Choose a quality, safe, quality detergent, like Norwex Ultra Power Plus! Look for a detergent that passes the green test. In my home, it needs to be dye, fragrance, chlorine, phosphate and filler free. Whoa, that’s a lotta free. Great detergent can be costly, but you always have access to Norwex at a lower price. Host a show or join. Access to free product with credit or a shopping spree means I have spent NO money on laundry products in 10 years!
- Have extra stinky laundry? Try a capful of our enzyme powered Odour Eliminator. (insert link) Add a capful to the softener area of your washing machine, or soak workout clothing, or other stubborn smelling clothes in 2 capfuls of “OE” with enough water to cover them completely. It’s tempting to use scented products to hide the stink, but hiding it doesn’t mean it’s clean.
- Skip the bleach. Most of us know by now that bleach is scary stuff that doesn’t belong in the cleaning cabinet or the laundry room of any healthy home. If you are looking to freshen up laundry, try our Microfiber Cleaner Laundry Booster. Use the recommended amount to soak especially dirty or dingy textiles. Or, be like granny and use the power of the sun. I’m a big fan of bringing back the clothes line and sunning clothes or sheets that could use a refresh.
- Pass on the dryer sheets and swap them out for dryer balls. I’ve been using the same set of Norwex dryer balls for years. Not only are they economical, they are better for the planet and for your health. While I started out with 3 of the Norwex Fluff and Tumble Dryer Balls, I’m now up to 6 because BALLS ARE AWESOME. My dog has agreed, so here is your warning. Keep away from pets, or they will modify them into a fetching and chewing toy!
- Having a hard time giving up those scented laundry product? You aren’t alone! The brain loves a good deep inhale of a smell that brings on feelings of a job well done, but getting that fix from an artificial scent is not good for your overall health. Maybe your mom used a certain scented laundry products and a big old whiff of that feels like a warm hug and a cookie from home? It can be hard to pull the plug on those fragrances. Instead of using heavily scented products, try using a high quality essential oil. Add two to three drops to one of your Fluff and Tumble Dryer balls, and set the heat to a low setting for a few minutes toward the end of your dry cycle, or do this after your clothes have been chilling in the dryer for a day, waiting for you to come and fold them!
Making safer swaps in the laundry room is fast, rewarding, and easy. You can hammer it out in a day and I am happy to help you ditch the old and switch for the safer Norwex products that millions of families trust!